Good Times Are Just Around The Corner
The summer months are closing in! That’s a good thing, right? I know fall is a favorite time of year for a lot of people, with milder temperatures and a plethora of color, but for me spring and summer still rule — whether your taking photos, traveling, or just enjoying the sunshine in your own backyard.
Outdoor activities and area festivals are another bright spot.
If you like to plan, here are the dates for some of the bigger festivals coming up in our area over the next few months:
• International Horseradish Festival, Collinsville: June 7-8.
• Schweizerfest, Highland: June 7-8
• Route 66 Festival, Edwardsville: June 8
• Glen Carbon Homecoming: June 13-14
• Marine Homecoming, June 28-29
• Maryville Firemen’s Homecoming, July 12-13
• St. Jacob Homecoming: July 18-20
• Madison County Fair: July 23-July 28.
• Smokin on Main BBQ Competition, Collinsville: July 27
• St. Paul’s Kirchenfest, Highland: August 23-25
• Italian Fest, Collinsville: September 21
• Hot Air Balloons Over Marine: September 27-28
Other events you might want to plan for include the annual July 4 celebration and fireworks display in Troy, a Military Appreciation Day in St. Jacob in July, two fund-raisers put on by the Marine Police Department, a K9 5K on August 11, and a Chillin’ an Grillin’ BBQ on August 10-11. The Troy Lions will hold a Club Harvest Festival on September 28, a new event this year. That’s not counting all the movies and concerts that will be taking place at area parks.
Do any of us have an excuse for sitting indoors, watching TV or twiddling our thumbs when the weather is nice and opportunities abound? No. No. And NO!