Skip to content

Triad Soccer Team Places 3rd in State Tourney

By Mark Jurgena, Reporter

You never know when your opportunity will come.

With 3:59 remaining in the 3rd place game of the Class 2A state tourney, Burbank St. Laurence was on a breakaway.

Triad sophomore goalie David DuPont came way out of goal to make a diving play before the Viking forward could get off a shot. He was called for a foul and given a yellow card. That meant he had to sub out until later..

Enter the other sophomore goalie Brayden Tonn cold off the bench.

St Laurence’s Saul Camacho was looking for his 2nd goal of the game off a penalty kick.

He ripped the ball at the lower left corner of the net, right into the arms of the diving Tonn.

Tonn would have to make another save before exiting the game after a highly productive 1:05.

“The kid stretches and makes an unbelievable save. He’s been such a good kid all year. He hasn’t gotten to play as much as he wanted but he’s never complained once. He just keeps working hard,” said Triad coach Jim Jackson.

Triad trailed 1-0 at half however the Knights rectified the situation with two quick 2nd half goals.

Michael Tentis converted a penalty kick with 36:30 left to tie the game at 1-1.

In the 33rd minute, Roger Weber scored to make it 2-1.

“We had a throw-in and Michael (Tentis) threw a beautiful ball to Travis (Speer) who flicked it and Roger Weber was right there and headed it in,” Jackson said.

After that St. Laurence took the action to Triad.

“We were not controlling the ball in the midfield. and we brought sophomore Trent Cissel off the bench. He settled us down and made some really nice possesses in the middle and distributed well. He was able to tie that down a little,” Jackson said.

Jackson also credited Patrick Weinacht for his play replacing Joe Wade who went down in the semis with an injury.

The Knights finished 23-3-3 on the year. St. Laurence fell to 19-6-1.

Triad Falls in Semifinals

The defending state Class 2A champion got two goals from two-time IHSSCA all-stater Alex Canfield to down Triad 2-0 in the IHSA Class 2A semifinals last Friday.

Canfield, who entered the game with 32 goals on the season, scored twice just before halftime.

“He’s the real deal, he’s a good player. Austin (Borri) did a great job on him he just got a couple of steps on him,” said Jackson.

Triad had the better of the play for most of the 1st half with several well-executed chances. However later in the half the Gators had several breakaway opportunities which they eventually cashed in on.

The Gators first goal came in the 33rd minute on a crosser from Colton Weidner to Canfield who headed the ball into the net.

Canfield then added to the lead with an outstanding individual effort to give CLS their 2-0 halftime lead.

“The second goal he hit a rope, he hit a great shot. He beat Austin and Michael (Tentis) kind of dove in a little and he stepped around Michael and he hit a rocket,” Jackson said.

Early in the 2nd half there were numerous corner kicks and dangerous throw-ins by both sides.

Triad continued the onslaught for most of the half but could not find the back of the net.

“We had numerous chances, we could’ve won 5-2 they were clearing balls off the line, their keeper made a couple of really nice saves,” commented Jackson.

The game was not without controversy. At the nine minute mark Joe Wade headed the ball into the net. While Triad was celebrating a foul was called on Wade for pushing off. That disallowed the goal.

“It’s a judgment call. I didn’t see it, I just saw the ball go in the net. There’s bodies all over the front. I don’t have any problems with that call. It was a judgment call,” Jackson said.

State Tourney Notes:

•Lisle Benet Academy beat Crystal Lake South to win the Class 2A title.

•Benet finished at 20-1-2 on the season.

•Remarkably Benet gave up four goals all season. They outscored seven postseason opponents 20-0.

Leave a Comment