Skip to content

Wins Over Father McGivney, Granite City Move Soccer Knights To 3-0-1 Overall

By Anthony Jones

During their spring season, Triad’s boys soccer won all but three games. Those results included losses to Collinsville and Granite City, plus a loss to O’Fallon. Now, only four games into their season, they have improved upon all of those results.

After opening their season with a tie with Collinsville and a win over O’Fallon, Triad played their final revenge game on September 2 at Granite City. The Warriors entered the contest with a 4-1 record, with their lone loss coming to the Edwardsville Tigers.

In the early minutes of the game, Roger Weber blasted a ball from near midfield to near the Warrior’s net. Jake Ellis connected with the ball and set up Cory Warren who put the ball past the keeper to go up 1-0 less than four minutes into the action.

The Knights offense kept rolling, as they would find the net again only ten minutes later. A well placed corner kick from Gibson Hunt gave Triad a great scoring chance, but a diving save by the Warriors keeper kept the ball away. Unfortunately for Granite City, the save deflected the ball right to Ellis, who buried the ball in goal to grow the advantage to 2-0.

In their last matchup, the Warriors pulled off a comeback win after trailing 2-0 and they looked to repeat that magic. With 6:20 left in the half, they were awarded a penalty kick and Elliott Boyer took advantage as he cut the Knight’s lead down to 2-1 with a nice shot.

This time around, Triad would manage to stifle any comeback attempt as they held their opponent scoreless for the remainder of the game. David DuPont recorded the win in net for Triad.

Early in the week on August 31, the Knights took on a Father McGivney squad that entered with a 1-2 record. Both of the Griffins losses so far had come from a deficit of one goal.

Triad went to work early in the match, and senior Cameron Rameriz put the squad up 1-0 less than four minutes into action. Another first half goal was provided by Carter Neu, who cut off a throw in and sent the ball in net with a powerful shot.

In the second half, the Knights flipped a switch as they launched a scoring barrage. Jake Stewart started the offensive onslaught only 80 seconds into the half as he tapped a ball over the Griffin’s goalkeeper. With 37:44 left in the game, Wyatt Suter grew the lead to 4-0 after intercepting a pass from Father McGivney’s goalie and booting the ball to the net.

Just over three minutes later, Ellis tacked on another score via a header to put his team up 5-0. Putting the final touches on the win and earning himself a hat trick, Suter would score a pair of goals later in the half to make the final score 7-0.

DuPont and Max Rader combined for the shutout in net for Triad. DuPont now stands at 3-0-1 on the season, allowing only three goals of which two came via penalty kicks.

Leave a Comment