By Stephanie Malench
After nearly 100 years the Troy Woman’s Club is dissolving as a non-profit charitable organization. It was the oldest service Club in Troy.
Organized with 25 members as “Mothers Club” on January 31, 1924, the group later changed its name and became affiliated with the Federation of Woman’s Clubs International. The Troy Woman’s Club left the Federation in 2001.
The motto for the Woman’ Club was “Loyalty to God, fellow man, and the laws of our nation”. Their symbol was a pink carnation.
The group has not collected any dues or met since COVID-19 and has not been able to find any younger women to join the group. Although the group will remain as a monthly ladies lunch group for those who want to stay in touch, dues will no longer be collected and donations will not be made to local charities. Only 12 members remain, the youngest of which is in her 60s.
Those looking to participate in the ladies lunches should call Connie Obernuefemann at (618)604-2091.
Projects the group helped with by either fundraisers or donations of time included painting the murals on downtown buildings, a scholarship based on service for a Triad High School senior girl, Ministries Unlimited, Tri-Township Library, community expos at Triad High School, and Triad After Prom.
The remaining money in the 501(c)3’s account will be divided evenly between Ministries Unlimited, the Veteran’s Memorial at Tri-Township Park, and the Troy Historical Society.