Skip to content

Lady Knights Take Down Top Level Competition In Metro Cup Action

By Anthony Jones

In the eight game of their season, it finally happened. Triad was facing a deficit for the first time this season as the Columbia Eagles scored a second half goal to go up 1-0.

Heading into the matchup, Triad was on a four game streak of shutting out their opponent. In fact, the team had only surrendered one goal all season.

The Eagle’s goal came early in the second half, with 35:53 left to be played. Triad kept near constant pressure for most of the second half, but with less than 14 minutes left to be played it finally paid off. Senior Savannah Stauffer pushed the ball forwards towards Laney Harshany who had one defender and the goalie to beat. Columbia’s two last lines of defense collided into each other and left Harshany with a wide open goal, which she used to tie the game up.

Two five minute overtime periods provided no more scoring, which sent the game to penalty kicks. The Eagles took the first shot, but Reagan Chigas stopped the shot. Emily Rosenthal followed for Triad and gave them a 1-0 advantage.

Chigas stopped another Columbia shot, keeping the tally at 1-0. Triad’s next shot was no good too, keeping the tally the same. Columbia was desperate for a goal, but missed wide left to keep Triad’s lead intact. After an unorthodox run up to the ball, Kinlee Lippert found the net again for Triad to force a score or go home spot for the Eagles.

Feeling the pressure, the visiting Eagles scored the goal they needed to keep the game going. Ezra Wilder was sent up next to shoot the potential game winner for Triad. Wilder shot for the bottom left corner of the goal and out of the reach of the goalie, giving her team their most exciting victory of the season so far.

Two days later, the team traveled for their second Metro Cup game to take on the Edwardsville Tigers. Edwardsville entered the game with a 5-0 record as well as the top ranking in state by MaxPreps.

The Knights dominated possession early on in the game, but struggled to find the net despite several promising spots. But with 20 minutes left in the first half, that changed. Stauffer took a deep free kick for Triad from near mid-field and booted it in goal just out of the goalie’s reach.

First half scoring was not done just yet however. Triad’s Gracie Giacoletto was awarded a penalty kick with four minutes left in the half. The senior took full advantage of the opportunity and put her team up 2-0, a score that would hold through half time.

Early in the second half, Triad would find the net again. Brynn Presley provided a goal with 33 minutes remaining, but it would also prove to be the last of the game. Kendall and Reagan Chigas combined for the shutout, with 40 minutes of action each.

Triad’s final game of the Metro Cup was a home battle against the Alton Redbirds. This matchup started off much more comfortably for Triad than their previous two as they claimed a 2-0 lead less than ten minutes into the action.

Scoring would settle down for a while, but with 14 minutes left in the opening half, Triad allowed their third goal of the season. Their offense would respond shortly after however as Harshany would score off a perfectly placed pass and some footwork to get past the keeper, helping make the score 3-1 at half.

The second half went even more in Triad’s favor. They outscored their opponent 4-0, leading to a final score of 7-1. Carson Bohnenstiehl and Harshany both finished with a pair of goals, while Lippert, Gabbie Wood, Breanna Zurek, and Emily Baker all scored once.

Leave a Comment